3 Days Itinerary from Paris to London (Day 1) Check out the Best Fish n Chip in London
When we first arrived in London via the EuroTunnel, everything is so similar to Singapore. It's like arriving home!
- Right Hand Drive
- Singapore use Cambridge Education System (PSLE, N/O/A Levels)
- English Speaking Country
- Multi Racial - Their supermarket have alot of International food stuffs and Chilli Sauce. Indian, Mexican, Asian etc
- Drivers in London are like Singaporeans - Impatient!
- Congestion Charge Zone - ERP Zone like Singapore
After our experience drive to Germany, we decided to have a 3 Days Drive from Saturday to Monday. We can save a night of Hotel this way.
Things to Note Before Driving from France to London
- UK Drives on the Left. France and other EU drives on the right. You have to really check your blind spot when overtaking or at congested roundabouts. You probably can't see most cars coming on the right.
- Road Signs are in Miles. Not in KM
- London Congestion Charge Zone. You have to pay an £11.50 daily charge if you drive within the Congestion Charge zone between 07:00 and 18:00, Monday to Friday. [Download Map here]
- UK use Pounds not Euros.
- Dartford Crossing Charge. You must pay if you use the Dartford Crossing (the Thames River) between 6am and 10pm. You must pay by midnight on the day after you cross. The payment service is called Dart Charge.
- Petrol. UK Petrol and Diesel are more expensive than France. Fill your tank before you enter UK at the stations in Calais.
- Passport. You need a passport to enter into UK from France
Day 1: Crossing to UK via EuroTunnel
Drive to Calais
Via A1, A26.
As usual, we will stop at Calais, Macdonalds for our Brunch (ard 10am), top up petrol before heading to the Eurotunnel.
This is our first time in this area and the road signs are confusing. We have a hard time finding the Petrol Kiosk and also the Check In for EuroTunnel. Luckily we reach Calais early to allow us more time to navigate.
From € 80 / Way
35 mins Journey
Check in EuroTunnel
We have bought our tickets via www.eurotunnel.com earlier. The process to self check-in is very fast. Just insert the credit card you used to purchase the ticket. The machine will print out your "boarding ticket". Hang it at your rear view mirror or your dashboard.
If you are early, you may even board the earlier train, and pay the difference in fares if there is.
We are so excited as this is our first time, driving a car into a Train. The space for a car is pretty tight but we managed to get it through.
After driving for 4 hours, from Sens to Calais, a 35 mins train ride is definitely a good rest. I can close my eyes and take nap after having our Macdonalds breakfast.
Exiting the EuroTunnel
Once you reach UK, you will need to drive your vehicle out of the train and off you go on the UK highway via M20. It takes away for us to get used to the speed limit as it is in MPH, you gotta do some mental conversion.
Shop: Sainsbury's Ashford
Value for Money
Open Mon - Sun
- UK #2 Largest Supermarket Chain
- Check out their website
This is our first stop in UK, as we googled online, Sainsbury is the #2 supermarket Chain in UK. This place sells my Lingham's Chilli Sauce at £1.50. You definitely can't find this in France. I am also looking for Curry Leaves, but unfortunately it is not sold at this outlet.
But if you are looking for a Bargain, you can try Asda. For the £2 Heinz Curry Sauce at Sainsbury, it is sold at Asda for £1
Eat: Golden Chippy
Less than £8
- Located at 62 Greenwich High Rd, London
- Top Ranking Fish and Chip in London by Tripadvisor
- Fish n Chips at less than £8 !
- Awesome Service!
- Probably the Best Fish & Chips in UK
Along our route to London Centre, we googled a place for Fish n Chips and Golden Chippy came out to be along the way and reviews seem good!
We were surprised by how Customer oriented Golden Chippy is! They took time probably every 15mins to check on the customer's and even serve fruits after the meal.
It has been quite some time since we experienced such good service vs ¯_(ツ)_/¯ we get all the time in France.
We ordered the Standard and Large Codfish, 2 Piece Chicken to share among the 3 of us. The codfish taste fresh and the batter is crispy too! And bill come up to be £23 including 2 coke (with ICE!)
Carpark: Vintry Thames Exchange
£12 for 12 Hours During Weekend. Pre-Book your Parking here!
Driving in London centre is definitely similar to driving in Singapore. The drivers are impatient, congestion everywhere. And there seemed to be a lot of speed cameras in London - Like really alot! Try counting..
Parking in London centre is definitely expensive. But we found a place to Pre-Book Parking at £12 for 12 Hours during weekends! Check this website for more info! So fun, it is one of the cheapest parking we can find in London. If you manage to get a roadside parking, good for you. It is free on Sundays.
Go: Borough Market
Open Mon - Sat
Wide Variety of Food!
More than 130 Traders!
- Located at 8 Southwark Street, London
- One of the largest and oldest food markets in London.
- Nearest Underground Station is London Bridge (Northern and Jubilee lines)
Eat: Richard Haward's Oyster
£1.50 for Medium Oyster
- Located at Borough Market Facing the Street
We went specially to try this Oyster out as recommended. This is probably my first positive experience trying out raw oysters.
Because they have a few selection of oyster and I have no idea how to order from there. I just went up to the boss and told him, Ermm, 3 Oysters please!
We are just mindblown by the freshness of the oyster. After have 1, we order another! And was craving for it all the time. Wonder why I didn't crave for any french food in France.
The Shard, also referred to as the Shard of Glass, Shard London Bridge and formerly London Bridge Tower, is a 95-storey skyscraper in Southwark, London, that forms part of the London Bridge Quarter development. Standing 309.6 metres (1,016 ft) high, the Shard is the tallest building in the United Kingdom, the 105th tallest building in the world, and the fourth tallest building in Europe. It is also the second-tallest free-standing structure in the United Kingdom, after the concrete tower at the Emley Moor transmitting station.
From our previous trips, we often will go to the tallest building or tower to view the entire landscape of the region or city. This is the most expensive entry ticket we have encountered so far. Do Pre book online for 15% off!
We purposely book at around 5pm to the shard so that we can view the region during the daytime and catch the sunset.
After a whole day of driving, we just stayed one corner of The Shard, sat down and enjoy the scenery while resting.
Driving back from London to Martel Guest House takes about 45mins, the distance isn't that far but the roads are slightly congested during a Saturday Night. We even pass by Camden Town along the way and it looks happening!
Upon reaching the Guest House, we are greeted by Mr Phil! From all the reviews gathered, indeed his introduction and service makes our day too. He is very patient to explain the whole procedures, the keys and the breakfast timing.
The only complaint we have is, as we are at the bottom level, we can hear the thumping sounds whenever the 2nd level guest walks about in their room. Mrs Travelvoila complains about the bed being too firm though. Probably we walked 14km for our first day in London.
Planning a trip to London? Let us know what questions you have?